Monday, February 9, 2009

Menu Day

We continue to have leftovers from our wonderful Christmas in January celebration. All the meals I prepared last week were "make-overs" from these leftovers. After measuring out what I needed last week, I froze the remaining so I could continue our make-over madness through this week. I hope you enjoy these budget friendly and creative ideas.
I also have a wonderful Strudel Topped Pear Spiced Coffee Cake recipe to share. The girls group at our church held a bake sale this weekend and I donated this lightly sweet treat. I, of course, had to prepare two - one for the bake sale and one for us.
Monday - sausage jambalaya (from leftover Mexican rice), cornbread
Tuesday - Mediterranean baked flounder (a Gooseberry Patch Cookbook recipe), steamed spinach, steamed mixed vegetables
Wednesday - ham w/ raisin sauce (from leftover ham), green beans, corn
Thursday - split pea soup (from left over meaty ham bone), peppery cheese bread
Friday - baked ziti (from leftover spaghetti sauce), garlic bread, salad
Saturday - omelet, fried potatoes
Sunday - shredded beef taco salad (from leftover roast)
Strudel Topped Pear Spiced Coffee Cake
Cake:
3 1/2 c. baking mix (such as Bisquick / my homemade recipe is below)
3 egg, slightly beaten
1 qt. pear pie filling (homemade or large store bought can)
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
Strudel Topping:
1 c. baking mix
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
3-4 pats cold butter
Combine cake ingredients until just moistened. Spread into a greased 9 x 13 in. baking pan OR two 8 in. round cake pans (this will make two small coffee cakes). In a small bowl combine strudel topping ingredients, cutting butter in with a pastry knife until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over cake batter. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly before slicing.
16 servings
This lightly sweet cake is perfect with a cup of hot tea.
Homemade Baking Mix
5 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
3 c. whole wheat flour
1 tbs. salt
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 c. instant nonfat dry milk
2 1/4 c. shortening
In a large bowl, sift together all dry ingredients. Blend well. With a pastry blender, cut in shortening until evenly distributed. Put in large airtight container. Store in a cool dry place or freeze. Use within 3 months. Makes about 13 cups of mix.

4 comments:

  1. What a yummy menu. I love the photo, so pretty. What GBP book did you get that recipe from? You know me, I love all things Goosberry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well helo Mrs. Evening Shade ...

    The Mederiterranean Baked Fish recipe was found in Gooseberry Patch Family Favorite Recipes - a small little recipe book I received for free through the mail - page 18.

    Mrs. B

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a fan normally of seafood but this sounds like something I might try. Thank you.

    I meant to say in my previous comment that I LOVE the photo. What a beautiful setting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the compliment on the photo .. unfortunately I can not take credit for it ... I downloaded it from photo bucket.

    Mrs. B

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read my blog and leave a comment. I try my best to respond to each one. God Bless You, Mrs.B