Monday, July 14, 2008

One Man's Trash is Another Man's Treasure

That statement is very true. Whenever Mr. B goes for one of his 2 mile walks OG & EJ tag along with a plastic grocery bag. They pick up all the discarded soda and beer cans along the roadside. They bring them home and dump them into a large garbage can. When the can is full ... ... they bag up the aluminum cans. JP then drives them down to the salvage center.
They return with M$NEY!! Yep, this is how our little OG & EJ earn their spending money. We've taught our children to use the envelope system for their money. They put 10% into a tithe/offerings envelope and divide the remaining 90% between a savings envelope and a spend envelope. About every 6 weeks the savings envelope is deposited at the bank into their dowry/college savings funds.


  1. What a GREAT way to teach them the value of working for something as well as how to manage their money. This is a great teaching that will last them a lifetime.

  2. Thank you, Nicole. We used the same concept with our older children and, so far, it seems to be doing them well. They all live debt free AND have more savings then my husband and I could have ever imagined having at their young ages.
    We keep praying that they will continue on the path they are currently on.

  3. My dad used to take Emma (my little sister) and I to "pick cans". Great exercise and at the time dad worked for a company so he was gone all day. So on Saturdays, early in the morning before traffic would pick up he would grab some five gallon buckets, our polls (old rake\shovel handles with nails in the bottom to stab the cans with so we could get the ones just out of reach) and off we went.
    The most I ever made was $6.50 in on morning!! Plus memories... but those are priceless.

    Dad now works for himself, so we spend a LOT of time together!

    Thanks for reminding me of some good times.
    Olivia K Brodock


Thank you for taking time to read my blog and leave a comment. I try my best to respond to each one. God Bless You, Mrs.B