Friday, July 18, 2008

Fried Green Tomatoes

Long before the novel, "Fried Green Tomatoes at The Whistle Stop Cafe", by Fannie Flagg and the box office hit, "Fried Green Tomatoes", starring Jessica Tandy, my family looked forward to spring and summer just so they could indulge in this fine southern delicacy. Here's my recipe for Fried Green Tomatoes. Ingredients:
green tomatoes, sliced
salt
flour
eggs, well beaten (notice how the yolks in yard eggs are so dark they are almost orange?)
cornbread mix (recipe below)
oil for frying (about 1/2 -3/4 in. deep)
Lightly sprinkle tomato slices with salt. Dredge tomatoes in flour, dip in beaten egg, dredge in cornbread mix.

Fry tomatoes in oil until golden on one side, flip and continue to fry until other side is also golden

For a yummy summer time dinner, serve with ranch dressing for dipping, cornbread and fruit.

Cornbread Mix (makes about 5 batches)

4 1/4 c. flour

4 c. cornmeal

3/4 c. sugar

1/4 c. baking powder

1-2 tsp. salt

1 c. shortening

Combine dry ingredients. Cut in shortening. Store in airtight container in cool dry place.

To Mix Up Cornbread:

2 1/3 c. mix

1 egg, well beaten

1 c. milk

Combine all until moist. (batter should be lumpy) Pour into greased 8in. baking pan. Bake at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until golden and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

3 comments:

  1. I have never tried these before but have thought about it often. So I think I will test your recipe out. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this recipe. I've had these before, but didn't have a good recipe. I'll have to give them a try!

    Marcia W.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot about your recipe but have it bookmarked now! Thanks so much for the great reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read my blog and leave a comment. I try my best to respond to each one. God Bless You, Mrs.B