Wednesday, February 22, 2012

I'm Confused ...

In my effort to shape-up a little before gardening season, I began a routine of walking on Mr.B's treadmill almost two weeks ago.  (insert standing ovation here)  Since I find this activity excruciatingly boring, I often find myself reading the all the information on the panel such as, heart rate, calories burned, weight loss vs. performance info., etc.  When I began my routine the calorie counter indicated that my little "work out" was burning 197 calories.  This is where I've become confused; on Monday I increased my 5 minute warm-up and 5 minute cool down speed from 1.5 mph to 2.0mph, I've also increased my 20 minute walk speed from 2.7mph, 6% incline to 3.0mph, 6% incline.  With these increases why has the burned calorie count reduced from 197 to 163?  If I'm walking faster and at the same incline shouldn't I burn MORE calories?  I'm now going to eat my Reese's peanut butter cup ...

2 comments:

  1. It is your heart rate. you have to keep it at a certain level for a certain period of time to burn the most calories.

    if it goes to fast or to slow you are "wasting time".

    Love you!
    Mrs. A

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still confused ... because according to the beats per minute read-out, I'm still at approx. 100 beats per minute ... Maybe I need another peanut butter cup ...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read my blog and leave a comment. I try my best to respond to each one. God Bless You, Mrs.B