Thursday, March 5, 2009

Frugal Feasting w/ the Crock Pot

With softball and baseball now in full swing and gardening season upon us, I know that for the next four months I will be running in high gear. One of my priorities for my family is providing home cooked meals that we can enjoy together each evening. When life gets busy, it is very temping to buzz through the local drive-thru, but it isn't healthy or budget friendly. Even when ordering from the value menus, I find our totals to be a minimum $4 per person and I don't know about you, but I often find myself feeling run-down and low on energy. No, the drive-thru is not a good value for my family.

During these busy seasons of life I often find my self using the crock pot and cooking extras for quick make-over meals later in the week. Today, I'd like to share a menu, that at less than $1.10 per person, is not only budget friendly but also time management friendly. Tonight I will feed seven people, 3 adults, 4 children the following.

Crock Pot Swiss Steak w/ Mashed Potatoes & Sauteed Zucchini You will need:
1 lb. sirloin steak ( $2.66 from the quick sale bin)
1 green or red bell pepper (.34 from the quick sale bin @ 3/.99)
1 medium onion, divided (.30 @ .43 per lb.)
1 lb. zucchini (.89 @ .89 per lb.)
2 lb. potatoes ($1.58 @ .79 per lb.)
1 can diced tomatoes (.88 ea.)

Pantry Items (approximately $1 worth)
3 cloves garlic
1/4 c. milk
1/4 stick butter
salt & pepper
vegetable oil

Cut steak into 1 x 2 inch strips. Place in crock pot and lightly sprinkle with salt & pepper.

Next, add 3/4 of a medium onion and the bell pepper also cut into strips. Lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper.



Press garlic directly into crock pot.


Add one can of diced tomatoes. Again, lightly sprinkle with salt & pepper. Cover and cook on HIGH for 6 hours.
Serve with mashed potatoes (potatoes, milk, butter, salt & pepper) and sauteed zucchini (zucchini, 1/4 med. onion, salt & pepper, vegetable oil).
I hope this inspires you to use your crock pot as a time management tool also.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds really good. Although we don't have sports that we have to be at, but my husband does not get home till around 6 at night and he likes to enjoy the nice evenings outside. With this being said, we often don't eat supper till sometimes 8pm. I am hoping that you post more of these fine crock pot meals.

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read my blog and leave a comment. I try my best to respond to each one. God Bless You, Mrs.B