Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Budget Friendly Recipes

Did you know that beet greens are not only edible but delicious? They contain high levels of vitamins A & K, and anti-oxidants Lutein and Beta Carotene. So, next time you purchase beets from the produce department or pull them from your garden, wash those greens and enjoy my Sauteed Beet Greens recipe.

I'd also like to share two other recipes with you today, Taste of Home's Vegetarian Moroccan Stew and my TexMex Quiche.


Sauteed Beet Greens
2 cups beet greens, washed and coarsely chopped
1/2 small onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Simply Organic all purpose seasoning
1 teaspoon sugar
olive oil
Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, all purpose seasoning and sugar. Saute until onions become translucent. Add chopped beet greens. Stir until greens are wilted.
Serves 2, recipe doubles and triples well.
Taste of Home's Vegetarian Moroccan Stew
2 cups cauliflowerets
3 medium carrots, julienned
1 medium onion, quartered and thinly sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup sliced zucchini
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 15 oz. can garbanzo beans, drained & rinsed
1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
Hot cooked rice, optional
Saute cauliflower, carrots and onion in olive oil for about 10 minutes. Add the zucchini, water, cumin, salt, coriander, cinnamon, cayenne and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in garbanzo beans and tomatoes; continue to simmer 10-15 minutes. Serve over rice if desired. Serves 6, recipe doubles well. (note: This recipe can also be made in the crock pot: Combine all ingredients, omitting olive oil, in a crock pot. Cook on low 4 - 5 hours).

3 comments:

  1. I got some of the last of what was left and let me tell you....soooooo goooooood. You need to have the corn muffin recipe with it Mrs. B. That was the best. I am waiting until I have that craving for the MINT CHOCOLATE BROWNIE! I can feel my sweet tooth starting to ache already. Thank you my precious Friend. I love you! You are amazing even if you cause me to smell like a man too. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you my dear sweet friend. I'm glad it filled up your hungry spot.

    Mrs. B

    ReplyDelete
  3. WE had a Moroccan stew when we were at Disney World last year. It was so tasty. I am glad you shared this recipe, I am definitely going to put it on the menu in the newr future.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read my blog and leave a comment. I try my best to respond to each one. God Bless You, Mrs.B