Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Menu Day & Recipe

Not only am I a day late with this post, but it's been, what seems like forever, since I logged a Menu Day post. 
Since I've incorporated my new shopping strategy, meal planning has been super easy.  Having a large variety of foods readily available has kept me from driving nearly 100 miles round-trip to the grocer each week.   I simply "grocery shop" right in my own kitchen!

Monday - hamburgers & cowboy beans
Tuesday - chicken-a-la-king, sauteed apples & onions, bacon-mushroom Brussels sprouts
Wednesday - chili dogs, oven fries
Thanksgiving - appetizers: deviled eggs, artichoke dip w/ crackers / meal:  roasted chicken, cornbread dressing, cranberry sauce, gravy, twice baked sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, & buttered carrots / dessert:  chocolate cream pie, pumpkin pie
Friday - left over buffet
Saturday - quesadillas, beans, rice
Sunday - chicken & dumplings, salad, garlic cheese toast

What do you have planned for supper this week?

Bacon-Mushroom Brussels Sprouts
(adapted from a recipe published in Taste of Home)

4 c. halved fresh or frozen brussels sprouts, if frozen thaw
5 strips bacon, julienned
1 c. chopped onion
1 c. sliced mushroom, drain if canned
1/2 c. water
1 chicken bullion cube
salt & pepper to taste

Steam brussels sprouts until tender, keep warm.  Cook bacon over medium heat until crisp.  Remove & drain on paper towels.  Saute onions & mushrooms in drippings until tender. (do not add canned mushrooms as this point).  Add water & bullion cube.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered 3-4 minutes until broth is reduced by 1/2.  (if using canned mushrooms add after broth is reduced). Stir in brussels sprouts & bacon.
serves 4-6

4 comments:

  1. I am positive that you knew I was going to read this and HAVE TO HAVE that recipe!!!

    I can't wait to try it!!

    Love,
    Mrs. A

    ReplyDelete
  2. You read my mind when you included the brussel sprouts recipe. I was hoping you would. Everything sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering about the brussel sprouts recipe, too! I really want to move in to your house and have you cook for me every day!! :D Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ladies,

    This burssels sprout recipe is fabulous! I've had folks who thought they didn't like brussels sprouts go back for seconds.

    ShellyKay,
    You can just pack a bag and come on down - you are always welcome.

    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read my blog and leave a comment. I try my best to respond to each one. God Bless You, Mrs.B