Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Landscaping with Mrs.A

We moved to Montana seven years ago.  Yup, it's been that long, can you believe it?  I hardly can ... time simply goes by too fast.

When we bought our place, our yard had nice green grass, but not any landscaping.  I've wanted to add some nice low maintenance landscaping to our yard every since we moved here.  Mr.B doesn't care, of course.  As a matter of fact, he always asks, "Why are you always so worried about the appearance of our place.  We live in the middle of nowhere.  Neighbors are not judging our landscaping.  They can't even see it!"

He misses the point.  The landscaping is for MY enjoyment.  If I wanted to impress my neighbors, I'd live in a sub-division within 2 miles of a Wal-Mart; not 65 miles out in the middle of no man's land.

Well, after seven years of my own unsuccessful attempts, my amazing sister, who maintains the most eye catching landscape at her own home, designed a beautiful, low maintenance rock garden for the front of our home. This inspired me to carry the theme to the north side of our garage, which is what one sees upon exiting the house everyday.

DRUM ROLL ....



BEFORE:
Note:  I drug the leaky stock tank up to the house and set it in front of the windows, because I wanted Mrs.A to incorporate it into the design.



AFTER...TaDa!!  
We filled the stock tank with soil and planted sunflower seeds with the goal of the sunflowers growing up to provide shade to these south facing windows during the hottest months. Mrs.A also selected a Lilac bush, which grows very well in our zone 3 climate.  The lilac will also grow, fill out and provide shade to the corner east and south facing windows during summer.  I love that she also selected white marble rock to compliment the white trim on the house.  It also helps the native rock border stand out.


THE GARAGE
Only the water barrel containing the hostas' was sitting under the garage window.  But now, it is surrounded by its own rock garden.

The only purchases we made were the metal pheasant, seeds, lilac bush, a few flowers for the pots and the white marble rock. The "yard art" and planters were things we had already collected from our out buildings and such.   Beautiful, low maintenance and economical!

I no longer frown and wish I were more creative in the landscaping arena.  Instead, I now derive great joy in seeing the front of our home when returning from the barn or looking at the garage area when walking to our vehicles.

Thank you Sis!!

2 comments:

  1. I love this! It all looks so pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Debbie,

    Since this post I've also added another rock garden to the front of our workshop in the area between the two overhead doors.
    I can't thank my sister, Mrs.A, for her design, labor and inspiring me to add another to the front area of our home.

    Blessings,
    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read my blog and leave a comment. I try my best to respond to each one. God Bless You, Mrs.B