Tuesday, July 24, 2018

A Stainless Steel Counter Top

Two years ago we reconfigured the kitchen/laundry/dining area in our home.  After the reconfiguration I had two cabinets leftover.  I decided I wanted to turn one into a small mobile kitchen island.  Thus, I attached heavy duty locking casters and painted the backside with black chalk board paint, which has been terrific for our younger house guests.

When I converted this cabinet into an island, I knew I would never be able to match our black with silver specked granite counter tops.  But since our appliances are stainless steel, I decided a stainless steel counter top would be perfect.  Not only would it match the color scheme, it would also reflect light, especially during the darker winter months we experience up here on the Montana prairie.

Have any of you ever tried to find a company or person to make a stainless steel counter top?  If so, I hope you had more luck than I did.  I searched for over a year and finally accepted that I'd have to compromise with a white and gray veined marble or granite ... not my first stainless steel choice.  I procrastinated and procrastinated in ordering the alternative selection.

I can honestly say I think this is the first time in my life procrastination worked in my favor!  While at the cafe one morning I decided to look and see how the legs of our stainless steel work tables are attached.  Pleasantly I  found that they are not welded to the stainless steel tops.  An Ah Ha! moment occurred.  Upon my return home, I went on-line to a restaurant supply vendor, ordered a stainless steel work table that was the perfect size for my little island.  Done deal!  And, since we live on a working farm, I'm sure we will find a use for the table legs ...



9 comments:

  1. It's very pretty! I think it goes great with your kitchen. We have a wood island that doesn't really match our kitchen but the previous owners of our house let us have it for free. It's very handy and I've always wanted a butcher block island anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Regina,
      Thank you so much. I agree, kitchen islands can be very handy. My most favorite aspect of my island is that it is on casters and can be moved about wherever it is most useful. I can also wheel it out of the kitchen for more floor space if desired.
      Blessings,
      Mrs.B

      Delete
  2. Perfect!!! what a great light bulb moment for you; it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Little PenPen,

      Thank you for stopping by, especially since I've been away for so long. It is nice to know that my blogging friends are still out there.
      Blessings,
      Mrs.B

      Delete
  3. I love it! I would have never thought to look at a restaurant supply store for a counter top like that but it does make perfect sense. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Debbie ... it took me TWO years to come up with the restaurant supply store as a resource, so I'm not sure how good I am. I'm just VERY happy that I finally got what I wanted in an island counter top.
      Blessings,
      Mrs.B

      Delete
  4. Glad you found a solution ;)
    It is such a good surface to work on and very hard wearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Evening Fiona,

      Thank you. The stainless steel surfaces at the cafe get so much use, I'm expecting the one I bought for my personal kitchen island to be as durable.

      Blessings,
      Mrs.B

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to read my blog and leave a comment. I try my best to respond to each one. God Bless You, Mrs.B