Saturday, April 26, 2014
Mmm, Chocolate Devils
Oh! How I wish I could take credit for this marvelous, melt in your mouth, satisfy any sweet tooth sensation! But, alas, these divine chocolate morsels from heaven are an adaptation of Ree Drummond's ( The Pioneer Woman Cooks ) Devil Dogs.
I saw Mrs. Drummond make them on her television cooking show and thought they would be a perfect treat for my soon to be daughter-in-love while she and our musician were home for a visit.
Here's my adaptation:
1 Collector's Cocoa Cake baked in sheet pan
5 Tbsp. flour
1 c. milk
1 c. butter, softened
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. heavy whipping cream
12 oz. bittersweet chocolate
1. Cut sheet cake into equal squares, rounds, rectangles, etc. using a biscuit or cookie cutter. These will become the "sandwich" tops and bottoms.
2. Prepare the filling by whisking together 5 Tbsp. flour and 1 c. milk over medium heat until a thick gravy like consistency. Cool completely. Add softened butter, vanilla and sugar. Beat until smooth and fluffy, 10 - 15 minutes.
3. Use a piping bag or decorator to pipe the filling onto half the cake rounds. Top with other half of cake rounds forming a sandwich.
4. Prepare the chocolate gnoche by bringing 1 c. heavy cream almost to a boil. When you see the little bubbles begin to form around the edge of the pot the temperature will be perfect. Pour the hot cream over 12 oz. of bittersweet chocolate and whisk until smooth and glossy. Cool slightly.
5. Pour or spread the gnoche over the sandwiches.
6. Use a thin edged spatula to transfer the chocolate devils onto your serving platter.
7. For a beautiful garnish, top with 1 or 2 maraschino cherries.
Abundant blessings to you ... Mrs. B, a very peculiar person