Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day Prayers

The back yard bar-be-cue fun of Memorial Day was changed for me in 2003.  That's the year our oldest son, AB, enlisted in the U.S. Air Force.  I suddenly realized, on a very personal level, that not only have countless men and women made the ultimate sacrifice in serving our nation, but so had their mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, wives, children, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, nephews and close friends.

Our family, and our oldest son, AB, were and are abundantly blessed.  AB served our nation within the safety of U.S. borders.  However, today, one of our other sons, JP, a U.S. Sailor, is currently deployed outside the comfort and safe boundaries of the United States that we Americans take for granted every day.

For me, personally, not only has Memorial Day become a day of somber remembrance and appreciation, but it has also become a day of prayer.  I pray for the peace and comfort of the families our service men and women have left behind to mourn their sacrifice.  I pray that our Lord, Jehovah Shalom (The Lord Is Peace), will bring peace to their aching hearts.  I pray that our Lord, Jehovah Rapha (The Lord That Heals), will heal the wounds inflicted by this loss.  I pray that our Lord, Jehovah Jireh (The Lord Will Provide), will provide for the spiritual and physical needs of these families.  I pray our Lord, Jehovah Nissi, (The Lord My Banner), will remind these families that they did not give the ultimate sacrifice in vain.

To the families of those who have sacrificed all while serving us, I not only thank you, I also mourn with you.  To the men, women and their family members who are currently serving, I pray for the safe return of you and your loved ones.

6 comments:

  1. Lovely words from a very special Mum,I can only imagine the worry that goes on in your times of thinking.
    God bless and prayers for your boy that is still deployed.Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this post. You have a lovely blog and I am your newest follower. I am also the mother of a sailor. My oldest daughter is a Lt. in the Navy about to redeploy in mid-June. Thank you so much for your prayers for our service members. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies for the encouraging comments.
    Blessings to you and yours,
    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this and for the reminder of Who God is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this and for the reminder of Who God is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great words! I also have 2 sons in the Army. One is currently deployed in a place I'd rather he not be. The other is still stationed state side but only because he is headed to school for 18 months...which fortunately (from what he says) will keep him from being deployed. Having a FIL (retired and now deceased) and DH retired....plus numerous nephews in the military....I have a much greater appreciation for Memorial Day. God's Blessings and have an awesome week.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read my blog and leave a comment. I try my best to respond to each one. God Bless You, Mrs.B