When you have an abundance of squash and don't know what to do with it, try these tender, moist and lightly sweet muffins.
Yellow Squash Muffins
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
1 lb. yellow squash, shredded (I use my food processor)
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1. Mix shredded squash, butter, egg, sugar, salt and baking powder in a medium bowl until combined well.
2. Stir in flour, being careful not to over mix.
3. Fill greased muffin tins 3/4 full.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
5. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan.
Makes 1 dozen.
When we discover those hidden very large squash that are too tough for our preference, I shred and freeze them in one pound increments. Thawing the frozen portions allows us to enjoy these tasty muffins throughout the year.