Tuesday, November 5, 2013

I'm Boycotting

Why would I write a post that has the possibility of igniting a firestorm of personal attacks in the comments section of my blog?  Today I choose to post my thoughts on a controversial subject because I am convinced that the moral decay of our American culture is directly related to Christians failing to "stand up" for Biblical morality.    From the view out my window, "standing up" for Biblical morality includes speaking out against Biblical immorality, not only with our voices, but also with our votes and our pocket books.  Some may inquire as to exactly which area(s) of Biblical immorality I am referring to.  Well, generally when I refer to Biblical immorality I am referring to immorality as stated in 1 Corinthians 6: 9-11, " 9Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God?  Do not be deceived, Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And such were some of you.  But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God."  Note, verses 9 and 10 list the immoralities but verse 11 shows the compassion and acceptance of Jesus toward those who have accepted Him as their personal Savior AND turned away from said sin(s).  I firmly believe that ALL have sinned against God and ALL can be saved through repentance.
 
While I have an unmovable faith in Biblical repentance and salvation, I do not believe that Christians should condone nor promote sinful behaviors.  I believe that we should teach the Biblical path to repentance and salvation. What an individual choses to do with Biblical teachings is up to each individual.   I struggle greatly with the permissiveness of sin within todays' mainstream Christian churches.  Many of todays Christians verbally condemn sinful lifestyles, yet support those same lifestyles with their votes and finances when contributing to political representatives or  patronizing various corporations who openly support sinful lifestyles.
 
I have never been one to verbally condone sin in anyone's life but as the years have passed I've felt a stronger and stronger conviction to abstain from voting for politicians or patronizing businesses who flaunt sin as acceptable.
 
I stepped onto the soapbox today after reading THIS news article regarding Barilla pasta company's future plans to use "inclusive" homosexual lifestyles in their advertising campaigns.  Chairmain Barilla, the founder's great-grandson is quoted as saying, "We are already working on new advertising concept that will be much more open and much more inclusive".  The article also stated, "The pasta maker plans to introduce an advisory board that includes American gay activist David Mixner to improve "diversity and equality in the company's workforce and culture", according to a statement posted on its website."
The article asserts that  Barilla pasta company decided to be more "inclusive" in it's advertising campaigns as a result of  public outcry  after, "Guido Barilla's remarks to a radio interviewer in September led to calls by gay rights groups to boycott the products of the world's biggest pasta maker ...".
 
Not only am I choosing to boycott Barilla by refusing to purchase their products, but I've also contacted them with the following e-mail:

 
Dear Sirs,
I am not writing with an inquiry or a suggestion.  I am writing to inform you that as a conservative Christian I will no longer be purchasing any of your company's products.
I read today that due to public outcry and protests by homosexual communities Barilla has decided to reconsider it's former stance on abstaining from homosexual family advertisements.  I'm writing to tell you that I am GROSSLY offended.  As a person who holds conservative Christian values, media endorsements promoting or justifying the homosexual lifestyle is one of the most offensive actions that can be hurled toward me and my family. 
While you are unapologetically worried about losing customers from the homosexual demographic, you are alienating a much larger purchasing demographic, the Conservative Christian.
I will never purchase your products again and am encouraging other conservative Christians to also boycott your products.
Thank you for your time,
 
I know there will be those who accuse me of being narrow-minded and a bigot.  However, I find it ironic that most of these same people will join me in support of the imprisonment of Bernie Madoff, currently America's most notorious extortioner, while condemning me for my stance on homosexuality.  1 Corinthians 6:9-10 includes, among others,  both extortioners and homosexuals.  As a Christian, I will not, I can not support those who flaunt or support sinfulness.  Although it has been many, many years since I worked in the advertising industry, I've never forgotten that money speaks louder than anyone's words.  Just as the homosexual communities have swayed Barilla pasta by boycotting their products, Christians need to realize that we also have that same power.
 
 
I leave you with a recipe to make your own pasta.  Expensive pasta makers are terrific for fancy shaped pastas but for fettuccine or lasagna a floured surface and a rolling pin is all that's needed.
 
 

Homemade Pasta by Hand
(from PASTA irresistible recipes for perfect pasta)

To serve 6-8
2 1/2 c. flour
4 eggs
pinch of salt

Place the flour in the center of a clean, smooth work surface.  Make a well in the middle.  Break the eggs into the well.  Add a pinch of salt.
Start beating the eggs with a fork, gradually drawing the flour from the inside walls of the well.  As the pasta thickens, continue the mixing with your hands.  Incorporate as much flour as possible until the mixture forms a mass.  It will still be fairly lumpy.  If it sticks to your hands, add a little more flour.  Set the dough aside.  Using a large knife, scrape off all traces of the dough from the work surface until it is perfectly smooth.  Wash and dry your hands.  Lightly flour the work surface.  Knead the dough for about 10 minuets or until the dough is smooth and elastic.  Divide the dough in half.  Flour the rolling pin and work surface.  Pat the dough into a disk and being rolling it out into a flat circle, rotating it a quarter turn after each roll to keep its shape round.  Roll until the disk is about 1/8 inch thick.
Roll out the dough until it is paper-thin by rolling up on to the rolling pin and simultaneously giving a sideways stretch with your hands.  Wrap the near edge of the dough around the center of the rolling pin and begin rolling the dough up away from you.  As you roll back and forth, slide your hands from the center toward the outer edges of the pin, stretching and thinning out the pasta. 
Quickly repeat these movements until about two-thirds of the sheet of pasta is wrapped around the pin.  Lift and turn the wrapped pasta sheet about 45 degrees before unrolling it.  Repeat the rolling and stretching process, starting from a new point of the sheet each time to keep it evenly thin.  By the end (this should not last more than 8-10 minutes or the dough will loose its elasticity), the whole sheet should be smooth and almost transparent.  If the dough is still sticky, lightly flour your hands as you continue rolling and stretching it in the same way. 
If you are making pasta noodles, lay a clean dish towel on a table or other flat surface, and unroll the pasta sheet onto it, letting about a third of the sheet hang over the edge of the table. Rotate the dough about every 10 minutes.  Repeat the above steps for the second disk of dough.  After 25-30 minutes the pasta will have dried enough to cut.  Do not let it over-dry or the pasta will crack as it is cut.
To cut, fold the sheet of pasta into a flat roll about 4" wide.  Cut across the roll to from noodles of the desired width.  After cutting, open out the noodles and let them dry for about 5 min. before cooking.  These noodles may be stored for some weeks in the fridge and they can also be frozen successfully.  Always allow the noodles to dry completely before storing. 
To cut pasta for lasagna, do not fold or dry the rolled-out dough.  I cut my lasagna about 3 1/2" wide by 8 1/2" long to fit my pan.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read my blog and leave a comment. I try my best to respond to each one. God Bless You, Mrs.B