Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Waste Not Want Not Wednesday

A couple weeks ago I was perusing my cookbooks and decided to try Ree Drummond's, author of The Pioneer Woman Cooks, Spicy Pulled Pork recipe (pg. 94-95).  On shopping day I scouted out the meat section of the local grocer.  Food prices are significantly higher up here than down in S.E. Texas, thus, I ended up paying $22.84 for a 6 lb. pork roast, that's nearly $3.81 per pound!  I knew I definitely didn't want to waste a single bite of this roast.

Good news!  Not only is Ree Drummond's recipe fantastic - the only change I'll make next time is an addition of red pepper flakes - but, I used this pork roast as the foundation for FIVE meals.  Reducing the cost per serving to $1.14 and keeping all 5 meals under $2.50 per serving.  Also, using the the left over roast in four of the meals was a real time saver.

Here's what I prepared:
Spicy Pulled Pork w/ corn tortillas, pico de gallo, sour cream, avocado slices and pinto beans
Dinner, aka lunch, of the above left overs
Pulled Pork BBQ sandwiches w/ sliced onions, bread & butter pickles, macaroni salad
Pulled Pork enchiladas, Mexican rice and charro beans
Pulled Pork smothered in gravy over mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli and green salad

What's your Waste Not Want Not Wednesday tip?

4 comments:

  1. My mind is totally blank i do not have the first tip LOL! However, I just had to tell you that menu sounded absolutely delicious and I am now considering sending my husband to town to pick up a pork roast. What a fabulous way to stretch it! (Although $23 for a 6 lb would have probably deterred me!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that sounds great to me, I do that too, buy a large roast and then split it up for a few mieals, hugs and thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa,
    I will confess that I stood at the meat counter for a considerable about of time debating the purchase of a $23 chunk of meat. It was a difficult purchase, but after all was said and done, I was able to stretch it out making it much more affordable than I originally anticipated.
    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Barbara,

    It is so nice to log in and see the photo of your smiling face. Thanks for the lovely comment AND the hugs ...
    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read my blog and leave a comment. I try my best to respond to each one. God Bless You, Mrs.B