Monday, August 18, 2008

Menu-Day


It's been a few weeks since I've shared our planned supper menus with you. Remember, I generally plan out two weeks at a time, which reduces trips to the grocer and saves time. (Please note: I also plan out breakfasts, dinners and kitchen prep.)
Earlier this week, a dear friend of mine was commenting on how one of her future step-daughters is a very picky eater. This has caused me to contemplate ways on how one could break a child of such a habit (besides sending them to my home for a month - they'd just go without until they decided to eat). I really can't cast a negative judgement, not only does the Bible warn against such, but EJ is also a picky eater - no onions, no mushrooms, and no cooked peas (he likes them raw from the garden, but not cooked). However, I have found ways to get him to eat these items regularly. At only 6 years old withholding dessert still works pretty well, but allowing him to "help" me cook works best. It doesn't matter what I cook, if EJ gets to "cook" with me, he'll eat every morsel placed on his plate including onions, mushrooms AND cooked peas. So, If you or anyone you know has a "picky" eater, try getting them involved in the cooking process. So far, it's been working in our home. Well, here's our planned supper menu for the next two weeks ...
Monday
Ham w/ Raisin Sauce, Scalloped Potatoes, Green Beans (will freeze leftover ham in slices and cubes for future meals & use meaty ham bone for next week's pinto beans)
Tuesday
Tuna Casserole, Dilly Cucumber Salad
Wednesday
Fried Rice, Egg rolls (will cook up extra rice & freeze for next week's chicken & rice casserole)
Thursday
Leftovers
Friday
Grilled Cheese Sandwiches, Tomato Soup, Raw Veggies (will slice & prepare extra veggies for Sunday's chef salads)
Saturday
Pancakes, Scrambled Eggs, Fruited Carrot Salad
Sunday
Chef Salads, Quick Bread (Note: I keep meals on Sunday as simple as possible - it's my Sabbath and day of rest)
Monday
Pinto Beans, Rice, Cornbread (will cook up a lg. pot of beans and freeze remainder for later meals of Mexican beans and chili)
Tuesday
Empanada Grande, Salad (will cook extra taco meat for Friday's quesadillas)
Wednesday
Spinach Salads, Leftover Cornbread
Thursday
Leftovers
Friday
Quesadillas, Guacamole
Saturday
Chicken & Rice Casserole, Salad (will prepare extra lettuce & veggies for Sunday's chef salads)
Sunday
Chef Salads, Quick Bread
What's your meal plan for the next week or two?

1 comment:

  1. Oh how I wished that would work. I recently spent time in the kitchen with her and we made a GIANT chocolate chip cookie for her sister's b-day. NEVER licked a beater, never snuck a chip. A child that doesn't like chocolate or cookies. Lord help me when she starts PMSing. Chocolate is the cure for mood swings! LOL Thanks for the advice, I guess only God knows what will work for her. Love you Big TB...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read my blog and leave a comment. I try my best to respond to each one. God Bless You, Mrs.B