Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Keeping Busy with Crochet

As busy as life keeps me, this past autumn & winter evenings have found me wielding a crochet hook.  Granny squares are a favorite of mine.  They are terrific for utilizing skeins of yarn left over from other projects.  I also purchase partial skeins for 10 - 25 cents from our local thrift store which allows me to crochet a variety of projects for pennies.  Most often I  use granny squares to make baby blankets.
 
 

Above:  As I taught Songbird how to crochet granny squares, we joined them together with a deep burgundy to make a bright and colorful crib sized afghan.


Above:  Wooden baby blocks were my inspiration for this bright and colorful little blanket.  I hope the baby boy who will receives it will enjoy using it to learn his colors.


Above:  I've actually crocheted three shawls this season.  One in a pretty peach, one in a dark teal and this orange one.  This orange shawl cost me less than $2.50 to make.  All the yarn is from partial skeins that were purchased from our local thrift store and one past project.  At $1.75 the button closure cost more than the yarn.  I made this orange shawl for me - it is the only crochet project I've made for myself in at least 5 years.  Recently, orange has become a favorite color of mine and I've decided to try and add some orange pieces of clothing to my wardrobe.  This orange shawl looks terrific over my cream colored turtleneck sweater.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful afghans! We are a crocheting family too. My 18 year old daughter is crocheting her Easter dress again this year (last year she did a skirt). She is working hard to get it done since we are now on the countdown. Part pattern and part made up as she goes. It should be really cute! One of my 16 year old sons learned to crochet just before Christmas and will now crochet to relax himself mentally. He said he wished he'd learned to crochet a looong time ago. He's made all sorts of things since Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favourites are granny squares too! Your work is just lovely, and I like how you have done them quite cheaply. There never seems to be any wool in our op shops when I visit...

    Orange is a great colour!

    xTania

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read my blog and leave a comment. I try my best to respond to each one. God Bless You, Mrs.B