Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Tuna Casserole

Growing up, I never cared much for my mother's tuna casserole. So, when I found this recipe on the back of a sour cream container at least two decades ago, I decided to give it a try. It has been the only tuna casserole recipe I've ever liked. Because it is an economical meal, my children have grown up eating it. Over the years it became one of AB's comfort foods, thus, his recent hankering for it. Well, AB, here's my tuna casserole recipe - Enjoy!
Tuna Casserole

1 16oz. package whole wheat egg noodles (original recipe called for regular, not ww egg noodles)
1 12 oz. can solid white Albacore tuna, flaked (can substitute regular tuna)
3/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese, divided (can substitute any other kind of cheese)
4 oz. sour cream
1 c. milk
1 tbsp. dried parsley OR 2 tbsp. fresh minced parsley
salt & pepper to taste
2 tbsp. butter, melted
1 c. bread crumbs

Cook noodles according to package directions; drain & rinse. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl combine noodles, tuna, 1/2 c. Parmesan cheese, sour cream, milk, parsley, salt and pepper. Mix well. Pour into a greased 9"x11" casserole. In a small bowl combine bread crumbs and 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese. Add melted butter and mix well. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture over casserole. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes until heated through and top is golden.

This evening, only OG, EJ and myself would be eating supper at home. Therefore, I divided the recipe into two casseroles. The one on the above left was for tonight's supper, the one on the above right was put into the freezer before cooking. I will thaw and bake it for a later meal OR if a mom from our church family becomes ill, I'll add a side vegetable & salad and deliver it to her family. (Note: AB, since you and KM are a family of two, you can divide the recipe in half if you don't want to take up freezer space with an additional casserole. I love you, Mom.)

3 comments:

  1. I love tuna casserole. That's the only way I will eat tuna (go figure.) I might just have to try this version out. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband adores tuna casserole. I will have to try this! Thank you. :)

    Also, I have never seen a picture of you before, you are beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. God's Dancing Child,

    You are so sweet. No one ever compliments my appearence. You've made my day!

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read my blog and leave a comment. I try my best to respond to each one. God Bless You, Mrs.B