Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Oldest Man In the U.S.


I am sure many of you saw this ( http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100921/ap_on_re_us/us_world_s_oldest_man ) article on the yahoo news today. If you didn't, it is worth a "click" and short read. The gentleman pictured at right is named Walter Breuning. He was born in 1898, that makes him 114 years old.
As I read this story, I thought of Mr. B's wonderful grandmother who as born in 1912. I also thought of all the history Mr. Breuning and Granny, as we all liked to call Mr. B's grandmother, experienced through out their lives.
I always enjoyed visits with Mr. B's Granny, because she always had so many first hand accounts of history to tell. She was also eager to share not only the events but also the mood and thoughts of her generation and culture during the many changes she witnessed. Sometimes I think I garnished more from her, regarding 20th century history, than from all the stacks of history books I've read.
Since I lived a significant portion of my childhood with my own grandmother, who was 60 years my senior, I've always held our older generations in high esteem. Many of them have a wisdom, a hind sight, and of course experiences that all of us could learn from, if we'd only allow them teach us.
If you have an elder in your family or neighborhood, I urge you to spend some time with them. I promise as they share their life's history and perspective, you will be abundantly blessed with a wealth of knowledge and information you never expected to receive.

4 comments:

  1. What a great article! Happy Birthday to him!!!

    ~Mrs. M

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just had a lady here turn 111, my mother in law turned 90 on Monday and my MUm will be 90 in December,how amazing is all that and they are all still so good in their minds,a real blessing.Carole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Carole, A blessing indeed to have both your mother and mother-in-law still with you.

    Mr. B's Granny was just shy of 95 when she passed over - she was certainly a blessing to me.

    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Mrs B,

    My Dad who is 89 next birthday lives with us and at the moment he is he is recording his life story and writing as much as he can remember about his parents and grandparents as he can remember. He's always busy with his life and although he's not so good on his legs now he certainly makes up for it by keeping his mind alert and active. We also share the care of my husbands 87 Mum with his sister. She has slight dementia but is so good on her legs that I'm sure she could almost outrun me. Sure we have our moments when it all gets a bit much but I remind myself often that God doesn't give us more than we can handle and I'm learning to let a lot of things just drift by. I hope your week goes well and thankyou so much for leaving the recipe for the greens on my blog. I'm enjoying trying out the greens.

    Blessings Gail

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read my blog and leave a comment. I try my best to respond to each one. God Bless You, Mrs.B