Sunday, October 29, 2017

Where does the time go?


I can hardly believe it's been NINE years since I began blogging.  Back then, our caboose, Farmer Boy and Songbird were only 7 and 10 years old, respectively.  Musician was in the Air Force and Middle Child was in home school.  And, we were living in S.E. Texas. 

This past week Songbird turned 19 and our little caboose, Farmer Boy turned 16.  As you all know, Musician is married with a baby and operates his own business.  Middle Child has separated from Navy and is in college working on a business degree, Songbird has flown the coop and is also in college.



Farmer Boy, 16 yr. old





Today, Farmer Boy is old enough to drive!  Can you believe it?  I don't want to believe it, but it is true.  This past Friday he purchased his FIRST CAR ... a 1987 Cadillac.  As all youngsters, he is so proud of it.  It isn't even legal to drive yet (needs a turn signal cover,  title transfer and insurance), but as you can see in the above photo, he is already hard at work washing, vacuuming and spiffing up the interior. 

Farmer Boy and Musician are the only two of our children who have purchased their own first vehicle.  Like Musician, Farmer Boy has experienced some growing pains resulting in the withdrawal of a 1st vehicle provided by Dad & Mom.  As much as it distresses us to be tough on our youngin's, sometimes we've had to be.  I am thankful to say that for our family, a little bit of tough love has, thus far, proven to be the best "medicine" to help our kiddo's straighten themselves out.  Of course, we are still working with Farmer Boy, but we are seeing improvements and we continue to pray he will become as wonderful a young man as his older brothers.



8 comments:

  1. It is amazing how they grow up! I know it happens to every. single. child. but I still feel surprised when I see a child I have not seen for a while, and see how old they have become. For my own children, it always feels like it's taking so long with each one (well, I have been at it longer than most--over 30 years of continuous child-rearing), but when I blink, another one has grown up. I've thought long and hard about my plan when they are all gone, so that I don't go crazy with boredom, or be super lonely, but God has shown me that He is continually putting children and people in my path who He wants me to minister to, and I've never known a young mother who would not like an afternoon's break:) So, I still do have several years left with this batch of kids...and a niece that will never grow up that I spend a lot of time with, and a nephew who needs a lot...and........ God has given me peace with it. Right now, I'm to do the task that is before me and He will show me what He wants me to do later. Still, at times, I can't help getting a bit reflective and nostalgic:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Becky,

      You and I sound like we are in a similar boat regarding child-rearing. I, too, have been at it for more than 30 years ... over 33.

      I used to experience anxiety any time I thought about being an "empty nester", however, the Lord has revealed another path for me when Farmer Boy is all grown up. Because I know our Lord has something else planned for my later years, I no longer feel anxious about becoming an empty nester.

      God Bless You,
      Mrs.B

      Delete
  2. The time does just fly by, doesnt it!? I can hardly believe my Madelyn is driving (permit only right now)....I'm not ready for this! haha! It's wonderful your boy bought his vehicle!!! I hope he can get it road ready soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Evening Dear Katy,

      Yes, time does seem to fly. Although I've been following your blog for a few years and you are wonderful about posting photos and updates of your beautiful family, I find it difficult to believe Madelyn is also old enough to drive. All your youngin's are growing up so very fast ... but I suppose it seems like all children grow up too fast.

      Blessings,
      Mrs.B

      Delete
  3. Yes! time flies by for sure! My children are 32 and 30 now and it feels like they should still be babies! Loving that cadillac... he did good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Little Penpen ... I also feel like all mine should still be babies ... our oldest is 33 and as mentioned in this post our caboose is 16.
      Thank you for stopping by.
      Blessings,
      Mrs.B

      Delete
  4. I have no idea how I keep missing your posts but Happy Belated Birthday to Farmer Boy! Good for him for working hard to buy his own vehicle and good for you as parents for practicing that difficult tough love that many parents are afraid to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always Mrs. Debbie, I so enjoy your comments. You are always uplifting. I'm looking forward to popping over to you blog to this afternoon to see what's going on in your world.
      Blessings,
      Mrs.B

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to read my blog and leave a comment. I try my best to respond to each one. God Bless You, Mrs.B